Monday, March 16, 2009

....and it starts with the cake pops

So finally I was able to sit down, upload, bla bla bla, and do all the boring stuff...

Now here comes the fun stuff.

So during my um, 'downtime' , I'm constantly flipping through books, magazines,watching foodnetwork, (and my favorite) web surfing other bakerblogs such as Bakerella, The Pioneer Woman, Cupcakes take the Cake, and so on....So then I thought HEY! why don't I try this and share with my friends and family.

I kept running across this one post which happend to be these CUTE little Hello Kitty cakepops, and if you know me I LOVE herro kitty ;)
Then I began my planning...


Sur La Table, Surface, Gloria's Cakes and Supplies, and Micheal's pretty much has everything you need in order to start this project...


Le Creuset---so Awesome, highly recommended!








Just a few tools in order to make the base of your cake pops.









Then some of the ingredients...YUM


Oh....but before I really get into the mix, I just wanted to show these AWESOME measuring spoons Andy's mom got me for Christmas (Thanks Karen!!!)













okay....let's begin the adventure
(but here are the actual directions)

We've got our lovely chocolate cake mix with frosting
Warning: do not use any cakes with little candy chips, chocolate, coconut...you get the idea, basically no extra crap in your cake mix
(and yes I made this mistake...but no biggie tho)

from this....we get THESE!!!
* it does get messy so um make sure your work area is clean....oh and your hands too hehe

for projects such as the:

HELLO KITTY HEADS!

.........or

Little Cake Bites!!



So there was a lot of chocolate/ candy chip melting after this....white, chocolate, and pink....The counters were a painted mess.

The coating was a bit tricky along with inserting the sticks and molding the butts of the cakes...BUT it all turned out fine. (there is definitely room for improvement..bleh)


(Here are some blank kitty heads, and some finished cake pops! mmm yum!)

Decorating note: these candy chips or chocolated covered candies...were probably the hardest thing in the world to find. Finally at Sur La Table they were mixed in with some ice cream toppers....not even your normal candy shop had them.



So...an hour later, I finally arrived with these...

( I have to work on my dip, pull, and drip method....melting kitties arn't so cute)



Why hello....Kitty


But in the end, after a *nom nom* later....
Success!--Taste Test: Good yayee!



size:definitly BiTe size

They make great gifts. Just package them in a little candy box and bam!--you're awesome

woot woot!















3 comments:

  1. These are awesome.

    I want to see before and after pictures of the kitchen and of the artist please in order to really judge the work.

    I'll take any deformed retarded hello kitties you want to discard.

    Can't wait for the next project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so awesome Jane!! LUV the idea.. im gonna have to try some myself now!!! damn.. its during these times of baker goodness that I miss not sitting across from you! great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello kitty looks sad with half her face bit off.

    ReplyDelete